BK intro to sputter coaters: 
Suggested procedure: 
Claims to have a manual: 
- "The manufacturer was purchased by Anatech USA and they still support this product. "
- Requesting it
JM unit: advert called it "Hummer II Sputter Coater for Au" although it doesn't actually say that anywhere on the machine
Have a bunch of internal photos. Will add them + better pictures once I finish overhauling it.
- Fix ATM switch
- Stuck closed
- Panel: clean
- Panel: fix handle / order screw(s)
- Replace with SHCS?
- Thread size?
- Panel: fill out all screws
- Replace with SHCS?
- Thread size?
- Pump: slowly leaking oil?
- Pump: oil mist filter
- Where does it go? Thread?
- HV: fix negative lead. Currently alligator clipped
- TC: replace sensor
- Key is broken
- Seems to work though
- Demonstrate plasma. System seems to more or less work
- General cleaning
- Pump: oil was low but now halfway on window
- Pump: window dirty. Tried to clean but not much success. Probably okay as is
- TC sensor: Teledyne DV-23. Orange base
- Pump: Sargent Welch 8810
Source]: "Technics Hummer VI Sputtering System"]
Source] Like above but its switched from being Technics to Anatech branded]
Source]: "Hummer 6.2 Sputter System - SEM Sample Preparation"]
Source]: "Hummer 6.6 Sputter System - SEM Sample Preparation"]
Source]: "ANATECH HUMMER 6.6T SPUTTER SYSTEM"]
Website skips from 7 to 8. Never produced?
Notes from someone:
HUMMER VII NOTES
LED Short Lead to square Pad, Long Lead to Round Pad MAIN PCB CONNECTIONS J7 Pin 1 Common Red Pin 2 Current Monitor Green Pin 3 No Connection Pin 4 No Connection Pin 5 Relay Yellow Pin 6 Relay Brown Pin 7 Safety Interlock Black Pin 8 Current Program Orange J8 Pin 1 Analog Common Yellow Pin 2 No Connection Pin 3 No Connection Pin 4 No Connection Pin 5 Logic Common Black Pin 6 -12v Pin 7 +5v Red Pin 8 +12v Green J9 Pin 1 Pressure Switch Blue Pin 2 Pressure Switch Blue Pin 3 No Connection J5 Pin 1 Two Way Gas Solenoid White Pin 2 Two Way Gas Solenoid White Blue Pin 3 3-Way Vent Solenoid White Pin 4 3-Way Vent Solenoid White Connector J4 Pin 1 Pump Relay Green Pin 2 Pump Relay Yellow Pin 3 + Meter Red Pin 4 - Meter BlackON RELAY PCB J4 Pin 1 + Meter Red Pin 2 - Meter Black Pin 3 Pump Relay Green Pin 4 Pump Relay Yellow
Source]: "Hummer 8.0 Sputter System - SEM Sample Preparation"]
Source]: "HUMMER X, Cold Deposition/Etch Sputter Coater"]
Source]: "Anatech Hummer XP"]
mcmaster Hummer IV
Got from craigslist a while back, including gold source. A little dirty, but worked fine. Cleaned up front panel best I could
- Pedestal does not stay tight and can be easily moved up and down when tightented
- Threads had eroded on pedestal clamp. I tried to shore them up with PTFE tape, but maybe not enough
- Ordered "PARKER P8MC6 Connector, Poly, CompxM, 1/2Inx3/8In" to replace it
- Looks like want P8MC8
- Chamber glass
- 5" OD
- 4.5" ID
- 0.25" thick
- 6" tall
- Chamber seals
- PORTER SEAL COMPANY-DALLAS
- L shaped
- 1/2" tall
- 3/8" wide
- ~0.073" thick
- Bell jar L gasket
- Install banana plug to ground pedestal
- Order cap to attach to pedestal
- Shaft is about 0.37"
- Something like: 
- Install metal backing plate into TITE connector
- Much stiffer now
- Scratching post a little...don't move it
- Didn't grease o-ring or post. Maybe should have?
- Was able to sputter coat a sample!
- First time in several years
mcmaster Hummer VI
Got from industrial auction
- Glass chamber + seals not present
- No source installed
- Vacuum pump
- Model: Trivac D1, 6B
- Low on oil
- Remaining oil is clear
- Put Agilent oil in
- Black feet at bottom have degraded
- Black feet stick outside of case...I guess to better isolate the pump from the chamber?
- TODO: replace feet
- KF16 inlet and outlet
- Cleaned up inside unit
- Oil, degraded pump feet
- Front panel
- Cleaned. Lots of black stuff on it
- Not holding a vacuum. Pressure gauge does not move
- MODE switch is off center, but otherwise seems to work
- VAC PUMP switch is not present
- Its unclear how to properly vent the unit
- Rear assembly
- Chamber => electric solenoid => leak valve => cut green tube
- Rubber hinge w/ chamber top snapped
- Hummer IV chamber fits, but is probably too tall and slightly too wide
- Back cover comes off easily
- Generally much easier to work on this unit than the IV
- Found large gouge on cap
- Filed down followed by 220, 1500 grit sandpaper
- Pump ran for a few minutes and reached 50 mTorr
- Switched to IV pedestal
- After pumping for 15 minutes reached nearly 20 mTorr
- Pump is good
- Vacuum tight, including the rear assembly
- Both pedestals seem fine. Evidence points towards replacing TITE assembly on IV
- Size / order chamber, seals
- Investigate leaking chamber
- Mode tests
- All three modes seem to roughly work
- Plate D/C: very slight discharge at top. Suspect plate is too far away
- Etch D/C: padastel sparkles (reverse polarity?)
- Plasma Exc: mix of both of above (AC?)
- Chamber glass diameter estimate
- Lower platform lip
- IV: recessed, 3.8 ID, 5.4 OD
- VI: edge, 3.9 ID, 4.9 OD
- VI: recessed, 4.9 OD
- VI: edge, 5.4 OD
- VI pedestal: 3.75" OD
- eBay pictures show a chamber not overhanging
- IV is 4.5" ID, could shrink down 0.5" probably from 5.0" => 4.5" OD
- But 5" does seem to work and would keep parts compatible. Maybe easier to find
- Chamber glass height estimate
- 2.3" gap
- Current chamber 6", 3.75" is probably right for this one
- Chamber glass summary
- Diameter: 4.5 - 5.0" OD
- Height: 3.5 - 4.0"
- Width: 0.25"
- Chamber candidates
- $67 for 1' of 5" acrylic
- Finding replacement seal
- Ideally want chamber + seals together
- Called. Min run 250 pieces
- Smallest 7"
- Sent RFQ
- Same as 
- smallest 12"
- can't find anything in the category
- smallest 7"
- smallest 6"
- might have some
- Called, they will get back to me
- Think they used to be PORTER SEAL COMPANY-DALLAS
- Called them and have 5" in stock, about $15 each, $50 min order. Order 3
- need: Pyrex 237670
- 127.0mm (5") Pyrex® Glass Heavy Wall Tubing, 2/cs., 29 lbs.
- Size O.D. (mm): 127
- Wall (mm): 6.4
- Heavy Wall Corning Pyrex Glass Tubing - 5 ft. lengths
- 127mm (5 in) O.D. x 6.4mm wall Corning Pyrex Glass Tubing - CASE(3 PCS.) 53 LBS.
- Yields 15' => 180", need 4
- 4-1/4" max
- Pressure-Rated Borosilicate Glass Tubes
- can be used as glass bowls in oil dispensers
Custom glass quotes
- "1 to 2 ea #STG-2376570-95 Clear Pyrex glass cylinders, 5" O.D. x .25" wall thickness x 3.75" long. both ends open, cut straight, flat, parallel, fire polished and furnace annealed @ $120.00 ea, can ship 2 to 3 days ARO"
- $29 each
- 3 wk LT
- Gasket order placed w/ elderrubber
- MOQ $50, gaskets about $16 each, ordered 3
- In stock
- Glass order placed w/ stemmerich.com
- $29 each, no MOQ
- ...actually they called me weeks later and said $70 each
- Ordered 1
- 3 wk LT
- Summary: a lot of sleuthing, but around $100 to fully replace a chamber
- Order replacement chamber seals
- Original gasket brown (Viton?)
- Ordered replacement gaskets: mcmaster 9464K175]]
- Chemical-Resistant Viton Fluoroelastomer O-Ring, 3/16 Fractional Width, Dash Number 346, packs of 2
- Width: 0.21"
- ID: 4.100"
- OD: 4.520"
- Order carbon rods: Ted Pella 62-118]]
- PNTD CARBON ROD,1.5MMTIP,PK/10